Aadhaar-Voter ID Link: The bill to link Voter ID with Aadhaar card (Aadhaar-Voter ID Link Bill) has been passed in the Lok Sabha yesterday. Union Law Minister Kiren Rijiju introduced the Electoral Reforms Bill 2021 in the Lok Sabha. Through this bill, changes will be made in the Representation of the People Act 1950 and the Representation of the People Act, 1951. Let us inform you that on Wednesday last week, the Union Cabinet had approved these changes.
Changes possible regarding voter ID card
In the draft bill to be presented in the Lok Sabha today, it has been informed that the voter card will be linked with the Aadhar card to prevent duplication and bogus voting in the voter list. Apart from this, there is a proposal to link the voter list with Aadhaar. However, it is not mandatory for everyone right now.
More youth will be able to take part in the elections
This move will help in preparing a common voter list for Lok Sabha, Vidhan Sabha, and local body elections and will also ensure that more eligible youth become voters. The Election Commission of India is pushing for several ‘cut-off’ dates to allow more eligible people to register as voters.
Only one person will be eligible for nomination in the Voter List
So far, for an election held in a particular year, only such person is eligible to be nominated in the voter list who has attained the age of 18 years as of 1st January of that year or earlier. The Election Commission had told the government that, the ‘cut-off’ date of January 1, fixed for this purpose, deprives many youths of participating in a particular election. So now it has been done four times.
How to link Aadhaar to Voter ID
- First of all you have to go to the website https://voterportal.eci.gov.in/.
- Login using your mobile number/email id/voter id number
- After that enter your desired password there.
- State, District. And enter personal details like name, date of birth and father’s name.
- After filling the details click on the ‘Search’ button.
- Whereas the details entered by you match with the government database, then the details will appear on the screen.
- Click on ‘Feed Aadhaar No’ option which will appear on the left side of the screen.
- Once the pop-up page opens, you will have to enter your Aadhar Card, Aadhar Number, Voter ID Number, Registered Mobile Number and/or Registered Email Address.
- After entering all the details correctly, cross check it once and press the ‘Submit’ button.